Recipe from Pranava
This is a balancing dish full of health. Light and nutritious, it is popular for cleansing and wonderful for winter dinners. Serves 2-4.
1 cup green mung beans
1 cup basmati rice
7-8 cups water
2 cups washed spinach (or other leafy green vegetable)
Ghee (clarified butter) or oil
1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
1/2 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds (optional)
1 tsp fenugreek seeds (optional)
1 tbsp turmeric
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger (optional)
1/4 lemon squeezed
- Ideally soak the beans overnight in 3 times water.
- Wash the beans well and drain.
- Put the beans in a medium size cooking pot with 7 cups of water.
- Bring beans to a boil and reduce heat to simmer beans at a very low heat.
- When beans are almost cooked add the rinsed basmati rice.
- In the meantime heat ghee in a small frying pan to prepare the Masala (spicemixture).
- As soon as ghee is hot add first the cumin, then mustard, then fennel seeds.
- As seeds are golden add fenugreek and turmeric for a few seconds beforeadding the ginger.
- Fry for two more minutes and then add the masala to the beans & rice.
- Cook the Kitchari until the beans and rice are completely dissolved. Add oneadditional cup of water if the mixture gets too thick.
- Add the spinach to the dish and stir it in for 2 min.
- Serve & enjoy!
Pranava Chaitanya is an advanced Sivananda Yoga teacher and senior staff at the ashram. He regularly teaches workshops, courses, and delivers satsang talks on a variety of topics including yogic practice, meditation, positive thinking, raja yoga, yogic diet, stress management, and yogic tools for happiness. He is one of the most popular and beloved teachers of our Sivananda Essentials Courses. He teaches with love, compassion, and care for his students, while delivering the materials in a very clear and coherent manner. Pranava Chaitanya is also a member of the Hatha Yoga team of our Yoga Teacher Training Courses (TTCs) at the ashram. He is the manager of the ashram kitchen and an expert on yogic and Ayurvedic nutrition and diet.
This inspiring course provides you with the essentials to jumpstart your own yoga practice — whether you are new to yoga or have experience in classes.
Discover simple, practical tools for entertaining positive and creative thoughts.