Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers
These are the perfect veggie burgers for a light dinner or lunch on-the-go. Black beans are high in protein, fiber, and essential minerals, and sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin A. While their high nutritional content will help you feel satisfied, the light nature of the plant foods won’t weigh you down.
These burgers can be created in a few easy steps and they can be refrigerated or frozen to eat at a later date.
1 small sweet potato
½ cup black beans
2-3 tbsp flour (whole wheat or gluten-free)
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp special vegetable seasoning
1 pinch cayenne (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak black beans overnight if dried, or purchase canned.
- Cook soaked black beans.
- Chop sweet potato into chunks and boil until soft.
- Combine black beans and sweet potato in food processor or high-powered blender.
- Add seasonings. Blend until large pieces are broken down, but it should not be completely smooth.
- Pour mixture into mixing bowl and add in flour. Mix with spoon.
- Semi-flatten 2 tbsp of mixture on oiled baking tray to form one patty. Repeat for whole mixture.
- Cook in oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-15 minutes, then flip patties over for another 10 minutes.
Serve on a bun or bed of spinach. Top with avocado, veggies, or any of your favorite burger toppings.
Love to eat healthy? Do you do cleanses? Want to improve your diet? Take a look at our Healthy Eating, Nutrition & Cleanses calendar of programs.