Spicy Massaged Raw Kale
Inspired by our own boutique’s kale chip recipe, this delicious variation was created by Sanatani, teacher of the Detox Basics mini-course. It’s a delicious way to enjoy kale! The massage technique used in this recipe makes the kale more digestible, so you can get all of its nutrient-rich benefits.
- A bunch of fresh kale, any kind (12 or 15 stems)
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/5 tsp cumin powder
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tamari (soy sauce)
- Remove the kale stems* and use only the leafy parts. Place in a big bowl. Massage the leaves thoroughly with your hands, along with the avocado. The kale leaves will become softer. This breaks down the fibers of raw kale, which would be hard to digest otherwise.
- Add all the spices and condiments at once and massage again to mix the flavors.
- It’s ready! Have a taste. Refrigerate leftovers.
*The stems of kale, not to be wasted, can be added to your juice if you have a juice extractor.
Sanatani (Sandrine Remy) is an experienced Sivananda Yoga teacher and manager of the Annapurna Devi Detox and Juice Fast House. Over the years she has assisted many detox and cleanse presenters, and has gathered a great deal of practical knowledge and experience that she shares in her own courses and workshops. She also serves in the Family Yoga Programs and brings playfulness, mindfulness, and creativity to her work with children. A native of France, she embraces a nomadic lifestyle which allows her to spend time each year in the Bahamas, while traveling to other parts of the world whenever possible.