The Yoga of Recovery program draws parallels between the ancient wisdom of Yoga and Ayurveda and the daily practical tools used by members of 12-step programs. It offers supportive tools for overcoming self-destructive and addictive tendencies, and handling family members/histories of addiction. Every age group and all addictive and self-destructive tendencies are addressed.
Topics of the retreat include:
- Meditation and conscious relaxation sessions
- Asana (physical postures for all levels) & Pranayama (breathing exercises)
- Sattvic vegetarian diet
- Karma Yoga (helping with chores around the ashram)
- Ayurveda & "Tools of Recovery" workshops
- Open 12-step meetings
Ayurveda and Tools of Recovery workshops cover:
- Root causes of addiction and how to heal from addiction using a multi-dimensional perspective
- Cultivating Sattva (peace and serenity)
- Training the mind through Yoga and meditation
- Supporting health with Ayurveda
- Positive thinking practices to support recovery
- Asana and Ayurveda for strengthening the body
- Proper diet and learning how to eat
You do not need to be a Yoga practitioner to come on the retreat. Although the teaching makes reference to the 12 steps, Yoga of Recovery is an independent retreat for people in recovery. It is not affiliated with any 12-step program and it is not a requirement that guests are a member of any 12-step program. Attendance at the open 12-step meeting offered is optional.
We require alcohol/chemically dependent guests to have at least 3 months of continuous sobriety. Those with eating disorders and behavioral addictions (relationships, gambling, spending etc.) should have enough stability to embark on this work.
Ayurvedic consultations and treatments are available at an additional cost. It is recommended to book treatments in advance of the course.